viernes, 21 de junio de 2013

Tossie the Mozzie

   In the northern wetlands lived Tossie the mozzie. He was the smallest of his kind. He was discontented with his job. “You have to work hard if you want to become a strong mosquito as your dad” said Tossie’s mum. He didn’t like his occupation; people often hurt mosquitoes when they try to extract blood from their bodies. In fact, there are some stories from the old times that say that many mosquitoes were killed by humans in their noble odyssey of extracting human blood for transforming it in sweet juice for the starving mozzies of the northern wetlands.
  One day, Tossie the mozzie was flying near the riverside when he noticed a group of people living in tents. They wore dirty and torn clothes and they seemed skinnier than the average people. “I think I should go there and try to get some blood”. So Tossie went and saw a small and defenseless child whose eyes were covered with tears. “I might use some of my happiness toxin while I’m extracting that child’s blood. It can make him feel better, I think”. So he put his proboscis in the child’s arm and poured the happiness toxin. For his surprise, the child noticed Tossie’s presence and looked at him astonished. “Why are you doing this?” said the child. Tossie, ashamed of what he was doing- because he hated stealing human’s blood- answered: “Because I have to! I need to collect all this blood for providing sweet juice for the starving mozzies of the northern wetlands; they need it for their health and strength. Besides, it doesn’t hurt. We use a special toxin that makes you feel no pain at all”. “I don’t mind to give you my blood. My father always says we have to be kind with everyone” said the child, who knew well what hunger was. So from that day on, Tossie the mozzie went where the riverside people lived and extracted the child’s blood. Every time he went there, they spent hours and hours talking. They were even like friends.

  After some weeks, the child was getting worse and worse because of his underweight. “I wonder why you are so skinny” Said Tossie the mozzie to the child. “It’s because my family is too poor and we don’t have enough food for all of us”. “But, you have people who takes care of you, don’t you?” Said Tossie shocked. He thought that humans were so intelligent and generous that nobody would be hungry or cheerless. “Well, for many people we are not important, or even unwanted. That’s why we have to live here in the riverside”. Suddenly, Tossie felt so miserable and helpless that he decided to offer himself as food for the child. “I know that I’m too small and that I probably won’t be enough for you but It’s the only thing I can give you for providing me your blood for the starving mosquitoes of the northern wetlands”. So the boy ate Tossie and satisfied his hunger just for a moment.